Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reindeer Turds? Let's just call them Magnificent!!

So, a while back I came across a recipe for something called Reindeer turds. The recipe was simple, it was cream cheese, cheddar cheese, taco meat, jalapeño peppers and bacon. Well I had just made some homemade sausage (listed below) and I thought why not substitute my homemade sausage for the taco meat. I made them, and then brought them to a party; all I can say is they were the star of the show.

I did not take any pictures of making them then. Today however, I made them and I thought ahead to take pictures of the process. Since I purchased the a-maze-n smoker, I have been cold smoking a few things; one of the things I smoked is cheddar cheese. So this includes smoked cheddar cheese, instead of plain cheddar.

If you have not attempted the sausage I made I suggest you give it a try. I have made about 100lbs of it, and I often freeze 1lb bags of sausage to use in other things. That is what I used today. So without further delay, here is "The Magnificent".

Here is the sausage frying up, just mix it up until it's done.

This is shredded smoked cheddar, I'd say about a pound, also there is the cream cheese.

This is the cheddar and cream cheese combined.

Now I have to tell you, these jalapeño peppers, they will burn your skin (found that out the first time). Use rubber gloves to prepare the peppers; cut the top off of them, and cut them lengthwise. Soaking them if ice water will take some of the heat out of the peppers. I have soaked them for just an hour to as long as overnight, and the longer you soak them the less heat they will have.

Peppers ready to go!

Sorry, I don't have a picture of mixing the sausage into the cheese, but do that next. :)


Here is the pepper with the cheese/sausage mixture placed on the pepper.

This is a half slice of bacon wrapped around the pepper, and that is all there is to it.

Here they are ready to go into the smoker; 80 of them, and 6 for a friend who does not eat pork with no bacon or sausage.

Here they are in the smoker, in about 3 hours these babies are going to be good to go!

The finished product, let me tell you these are great!

I used hickory wood, and got the smoker just hot enough to produce smoke. Give it a shot, they are easy to make and they will be the star of the show!! Just in time for those Super-bowl parties!!

No comments:

Post a Comment